How far can a Pinoy go?

In terms of taking advantage of people, I mean. Today I went to PRC for my license registration. My friends told me it'll be no sweat doing it so I did not expect any hassle to happen. Turns out, today was the day I'll burst out in anger in public. This is how it went:

*After filling up the form and paying all the necessary fees, I called my friend to confirm something*

Me: Did you have your oath forms notarized?
Friend: No we didn't. Just follow the procedures at the back.
Me: Ah. Just as I thought. The girl in the window told me to notarize. (Relieved. A P7 call saved me P200.)

*Proceeded to window 28 to present my requirements.*

Me: Hello po. (While handing my papers to the attending lady with a pleasant face)
Me: I didn't go upstairs for a notary because my friend told me there's no need.
Lady: Ah, you should. (Returning my papers to me while motioning to me to go upstairs.)
Me: But my friends already finished this same registration and they told me they didn't notarize anything. (My voice is now raising.)
Lady: **not saying anything with a face saying do it or I won't assist you.**

*Then that lady suddenly dropped attending me and started assisting other people (most likely 10 people) who were lined up on window 27. So I waited. When she returned to me..**

Me: I don't want to have this notarized because it was not mentioned in the procedures. (I said it with defiance, almost shouting.)
Lady: Then don't. (with a sort-of guilty looking face, maybe she's realizing I found out she's giving me a wrong direction, she started again taking papers from window 27)
Me: I don't want this notarized because it's not in the procedures!! I've done all the procedures so do your thing!! (I was really shouting out of anger.)
Lady: (looking embarrassed with the obviously corrupt practice she wants me to do) Go line up.
Me: No I won't. The procedure says I should line up at window 28 not on window 27. ( I was the only one on window 28. I was speaking now fiercely, my anger showing.)

*That time I felt all eyes were on me because I was really shouting out loud.. The lady then again left me and did other works instead of receiving papers.*

At that time I really felt like crying out of anger because she's making a fool out of me. When the old lady (another employee assisting in the registration) realized the commotion I was making, she attended to me even if she's busy doing another work. Too bad. I am the type who really pushes what I know is right. Shame on her.

FACT: One form of corruption happening in PRC is they'll advise you to go and have the forms you're passing to be notarized even if it's not necessary. They will make it sound like it's really part of the procedure but it actually is not. All employees, I mean, including the security guards (who most of the people ask for instructions) will normally tell people to do it like it's really essential. Maybe all the people involved in this malpractice gets a commission from the notarizing fees that the lawyer collects. So sickening.

No comments:

Post a Comment